Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Week 1 Readings comments


Wesleyan College, Macon, Georgia

As I was reading through the articles for this week's assignments in LMO, I was particularly struck by the Dartmouth Writing Program insight on "Coming up with your topic." In this article, the author, Karen Gocsik, discusses the different methods of reading for different purposes. In particular, she discusses the need for active reading in preparing for scholarly writing. Active reading involves questioning as you read, jotting notes, examining your emotional response to the material, and forming an opinion about the material. I was struck by the common sense nature of this approach.

I have always loved to read, and read a great deal for pleasure. When I am reading for research, though, I have always taken notes - generally in outline form. I have always attributed this as my personal method for staying focused on the material and keeping my mind from wandering. I have always done the same thing at lectures and talks even when they were not required for academic purposes. To the best of my recollection, I was not taught to do this in school, but developed the technique as a tool to keep my mind from wandering.

So the question is, why aren't we teaching our younger students this technique? There are many reading strategies and interventions that are being taught at the upper elementary level. Some actually touch on the ideas of active and passive reading, but most are geared toward basic comprehension, rather than the development of a new point of view. It is no wonder that many students feel overwhelmed in making the transition to institutes of higher learning.

As a new school year begins, I plan to try incorporating some reading and writing activities in my class to expose my students to active reading strategies. My field is music, and I have a plethora of materials on hand that would be perfect for just such and activity. The resultant skills would be invaluable across the curriculum.


Source:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~writing/materials/student/ac_paper/topic.shtml

1 comment:

  1. The comments by Sharon in regard to the article written by Karen Gocsik are so interesting and motivate a serious reflection, especially when she formulates the key question: Why the recommended techniques towards enhancing the results of the reading are not being taught? Effectively, the guidelines about Active reading are plenty of common sense; even the most absentminded reader would conclude that the described techniques are very useful.

    When, in my case, I don’t have the fortune to be a teacher, it is very hard to take a chance to make a comment without the risk to commit an error when analyzing whether the reading teaching techniques are appropriate or even if there would be any quote of responsibility from parents in emphasizing in their children the adequate reading process.

    Fortunately I have been an excellent reader and since my early years of high school I have had the habit to read and take and highlight notes and notwithstanding I took two or three courses to improve my reading speed and, after all these years I’m still using the same procedure that has given me excellent results.

    I have been astonished seeing several people at my city’s library reading but not taking any note and it is absolutely surprisingly for me that some scholars don’t even consult a dictionary.

    ReplyDelete