Friday, September 10, 2010

MAC Week 2 Comment: Denise Cullen

This week’s reading musings (draft)...


Fact: I haven’t been enjoying life as much as I could (and should be) over the past several years. Logically, my life looks pretty darned good on the outside, but emotionally on the inside I haven’t been having much fun. Could it be that I have been conforming to the pressures that I must constantly measure up? Of course, expecting that I should be having fun is an indicator. After all, isn’t that what they say, that if you’re not having fun, then something is wrong, or wrong with you?




Sharon Jones
It is so easy to fall in to the trap of trying to measure yourself against some arbitrary (and often changing) scale. I have found that the mood with which I enter a classroom sets the tone for the direction in which the class will go. That isn't to say that you have to smile and accept whatever behavior your students bring, but that your mood, energy, and enthusiasm can have a very real impact upon your students, both for their accomplishments and their behavior.

I have found that when I am at my "silliest" my students are better behaved and more engaged than when I am in "drill sergean"t mode. This even applies to my youngest (Pre-K) students. I can make them giggle as I use my "scary" voice and face to explain behaviors that are not appropriate. They actually seem to remember those. On the other hand, when I am frowning and fussing, they either tune me out, or shut down completely. There is definitely something to be said for the power of positive thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment