Wednesday, September 8, 2010

MAC Week 2 Reading: Rule number 6

As we continue reading "Art of Possibility" I am struck by the genius and simplicity of the Zanders' philosophy. This week the reading centers on Rule Number 6: Don't take yourself too seriously. How many of our perceived problems might disappear if we only adhered to that one simple rule.

I have found that the kind of day I am going to have is usually self-determined. If I choose to be in a serious, critical mood, I can almost guarantee I will have a less than stellar day. Do the students behave worse than usual? No, not really, but my perception of their behavior is more negative. If I choose to come to school in a light and happy mood, ready to explore the limitless possibilities with my students, will I have a better day? Definitely. This dove-tails very well into the philosophy of "not taking myself too seriously."

Ben Zander, in his examples, explores the unlimited possibilities that occur when a "leader" is willing to relinquish some of his/her control and listen to those being led. Roz Zander, on the other hand, approaches her work through identifying the central self defined by the calculating self. As I was reading her anecdotes, I could definitely identify the characteristics that have developed into my calculating self and central self. Together, Ben and Roz have presented a compelling model for shifting the focus from ourselves and our perceptions, to the idea that we are contributors to life. When the focus is no longer on our own accomplishments, but on how we have contributed to the accomplishments of others, our understanding of the role of educator undergoes a complete transformation.

4 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    You nailed it! I agree that if we choose to be in a good mood we will be but if we wake up and choose the other side, it is amazing how bad we can make our own day. Being pregnant I have found that my moods seems to get the best of me at times. I walked into school the other day and like you said my students were just being horrible. But it wasn't anything out of the ordinary, it is just that my perception of their behavior was much more negative than when I am in a more laid back mood.
    I love the idea of letting go of accomplishing and spending more time contributing to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,

    I find your blog to be so truthful. I, too, believe that my day is usually self-determined. And isn't it fascinating that in actuality the children aren't all that different from day to day, but our perception of behaviors certainly drive response. With all the demands on educators it's tough not to take yourself too seriously, but nonetheless, an important reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,

    I think you are spot on in suggesting that one of the Zanders' greatest strengths is the simplicity that they deploy in their writing style. However, in this week's post you have also eloquently and succinctly illustrated how the 6th Rule from the Art of Possibility can be reflected in our daily lives.

    I agree, much of the positive or negative attitudes that surround our lives are self-determined. I've sometimes tried to describe this notion to my students through a discussion of "the little things". In short, I've tried to explain that it is often our reactions to little daily inconveniences, such as missing a bus, rather than drastic and catastrophic events which can positively or negatively shape our day.

    More importantly, I really appreciated your observation that the behavior of our students, or traffic, or other such trivial daily events is rarely dramatically worse on any given day. Instead, it is our reaction to the myriad of other unrelated occurrences which lead to our perceptions of a good or bad day.

    Personally, I sometimes find it difficult to choose how to respond to one of those "little events", but I'll certainly try to let my initial reaction or mood dissipate as quickly as possible. I've found on more than one occasion that green tea seems to make almost everything better…

    Well put Sharon, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon,

    Very nice article. I like your perspective of this article. We all should ask ourselves that critical question as you did. What kind of learners would I have in my class if I came in happy and encouraging? I believe students will sense and feel that energy and become more engaging. Great job!

    ReplyDelete