Saturday, September 18, 2010

MAC Week 3 Reading: Chapters 7-9 The Art of Possibility


What an interesting and enigmatic reading this week! Would that I had read this prior to posting to the discussion prompts! The first chapter assigned this week dealt with “the way things are.” The discussion prompts dealt with our experiences with introducing new ways to do things into the school (or business) setting. The second topic dealt with the reason educators seem to be so resistant to change. Both of these topics spoke to me immediately, and I jumped right in and began cataloging all the difficulties I have had and PLACING THE BLAME for the resistance I had met. Reading chapter 7, though, reminded me that there are two things I must consider. One is “the way things are” and the other is “the way I perceive things to be.” As Ben Zander has said, “How fascinating!”

Obviously “the way things are,” the resistance expressed by our administration to the use of technology with our students, exists. I even understand many of the reasons our particular district has set the standards that are currently in place, and I can continue to disagree with them, and work toward the development of a more enlightened policy. I may or may not be successful, but the primary reason for engaging in this program has been to arm myself with the skill set needed to help move education into the 21st century. After reading chapter seven, I asked myself what benefit my students or I gained from me blaming the administration for the current status quo. The answer, of course, was “none.”

What “is” is. What needs to be changed, needs to be changed. Instead of placing blame, I need to be looking at a much bigger picture. It is not enough to know why something is the way it is. I must also look at what small steps can be taken to facilitate change. In much the same way as the example story of the father who felt his son was uncommunicative and walled off, even though this same son had requested and gained counseling for his family, I must look at the walls and barriers I am creating through my interpretation of the situation in which I find myself.

4 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    You couldn't be more right.

    In many ways, I think our country has lost its middle ground. And by that, I mean our space for debate, discussion, and compromise. We seemed to have moved from an era or place of discourse to a populace filled with rebuke and judgement.

    I fall into this trap quite easily also. All to often, many conversations with friends and family alike end in my exclamation that, "well yeah, they are idiots!".

    As our schools, communities, and country alike are faced with a myriad of challenges, sometimes administrations of all ilk are forced to make specific dogmatic or pragmatic decisions. Within these scenarios, many of us are left out of the decision making process.

    For educators, I think being left out of the conversation is exceedingly difficult. The decision to teach is not one borne out of fiscal gain. We teach because we care. Correspondingly, I've found that teachers generally care about a whole host of issues throughout their institutions that they might not have any direct control or responsibility over. This reality only further frustrates those of us that my girlfriend Kelly refers to as "heart" people. It is these very situations that contribute to the "well if I were the boss…" perceptions.

    However, Sharon, your closing observations are absolutely spot on. In order to avoid this constant circular behavior and frustration, we need to focus on the small but immensely valuable impact and change that we can create in the classroom every day. Once the bell rings, the room is only occupied by us, and our students. Those small changes, approaches to curricula, perspectives in lesson planning, and technology resources we leverage build upon themselves to create real and lasting impacts for our students.

    We can make a difference even if we aren't the boss. Step by step, student by student. Innovative web stream by innovative web stream. Or at least student by student...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great application of the ideas touched on in this week’s reading. So often we expend a lot of energy trying to break a barrier down with our fists, when if we took a step back and looked at the whole terrain we would see that we can simply walk around it. Perspective has everything to do with it, and the more narrow our view of a situation, the less likely we will be to “see” other possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your affirmations and where you write about:
    "work toward the development of a more enlightened policy."
    By developing solutions, one creates possibility. I have practiced this concept and I have even brought it to my work place, whereas our department's motto is what are your solutions? People must state their concerns followed by offering a solution. It has been in practice for four years and most people involved feel empowered to offer suggestions and through discussion, implement change.

    In addition, you write " the primary reason for engaging in this program has been to arm myself with the skill set needed to help move education into the 21st century." Yes, I agree and I have the same reasons for wanting to enroll into the Full Sail Online program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, I enjoy your views on your school, the administration and the way you look at yourself. I have always found it easier to blame some unknown than to look at it a different way. I have worked with many teachers who also share the view that it isn't the way they are teaching, after all it has always worked in the past.. but are unwilling or afraid to try something new
    we are unwilling to step out of our comfort zones even if what we are doing isn't working (Yes I read you other blog). I received the same message, but only had to try the next morning and it accepted everything without any changes.
    Margo

    ReplyDelete