Saturday, September 18, 2010

MAC Week 3 Open topic -- Ouch!


I've been so careful. I have an external portable drive just for backups. I am sure I have everything covered.

I had just finished restructuring my iWeb pages to include the prompts. Everything was saved, I just had to press publish.

"Unknown error. Your site did not publish."

Try again. Same response. Try a third time (yes, I do know that one definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again expecting a different outcome, but desperate times require desperate measures) all to no avail.

Ok. It's time to pick up the phone and call tech support. They give me the Apple care number to try. Apple is very nice and very helpful. We go through a number of steps, but ultimately the decision is made that we will have to go backward through Time Machine to get rid of the glitch. No problem. Everything is backed up.

So we go back to the last backup. Nope. Still wont publish, even though it had worked the day I did the backup. Let's go back one more. Nope. Still nothing. One week before that. Ahh. Here we go. Now iWeb will behave and I can publish my changes -- except this takes me back prior to last Sunday's AR Status post -- and I typed and stored those pages at school, where they are happily and comfortably resting on the server. We are unable to access the server off site. I am unable to enter the school after hours. As I rebuild my pages, I can't help having a sneaking suspicion that my original posts were better. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sharon...I'm so sorry. This is such a frustrating experience and reminds me that even being careful and taking precautions, anything can happen. Please know that your work is always of utmost quality, even the second time around, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I feel your pain! I've been getting the same messages when I update my AR website. I know I have enough space left on the iDisk, but often I need to close out and try again, or even just remove a larger file to make more room. Very frustrating! I've also lost several discussion board postings, two from last week didn't post and I didn't realize it until grades came back. Ugh! Oh well, lesson learned. I must copy everything before I submit. As for backing up, I really don't know how to go about doing this, and quite honestly, I don't have the time to figure it out. Hopefully I can make it through next month before my computer crashes. It's getting very hot and having issues charging as well...

    ReplyDelete